My cousin, Emily, asked for that red bean recipe that I made a few weeks ago. I’m finally getting around to posting it. It comes from the “Clinton St. Baking Company Cookbook”.
- 2 c. dried kidney beans
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 t. chopped garlic
- 1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
- 1 T. chopped fresh jalapeno pepper
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1. Soak the beans in 4 cups cold water overnight in the refrigerator. Drain the beans. (This is where I asked my brother-in-law for help. Bring the beans to a boil, shut off heat and let sit for 1 hour).
2. In a large pot, sweat the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and jalapeno in 1 T. of the olive oil with a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Add the bay leaf, oregano, cumin, and chipotle.
4. Add the beans and 5 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook on low for 50 minutes.
5. Add cilantro and remaining olive oil and cook for another 10 minutes.
6. Remove the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and serve, or cool on an ice bath and refrigerate.