I’m not one for resolutions, life is about constantly learning and changing and adapting, but Hank and I did decide that we would try and put at least $100 more per month towards student loans this year. We took a look at our budget and decided to spend $50 less on groceries and $50 less on eating out.
When we started talking about how we could do this, and what we could cut out, it basically boiled down to two things: be more careful about our spending at the grocery (i.e. don’t buy so much fancy cheese) and eat rice and beans once a week (this was Hank’s brilliant plan). I don’t think that the rice and beans plan is going to stick around for the entire year, but it is one of the easy meals that we both enjoy quite a bit.
January 1, 2013 saw the two of us doing our usual thing…cooking. Hank did most of it while I did a bunch of other chores around the house. Here is our stove doing what it does best:
- We soaked red beans and chickpeas the night before.
- Boiled the chickpeas- half for soup tonight and half for hummus.
- Cooked the red beans with chiles in adobo, onion, garlic and oregano.
- Cooked the rice for our weekly beans and rice.
- Boiled beets and eggs to make pickled beets and eggs.
Overall, a lot of good stuff.
Happy New Year!